Karin has 23 years of experience lobbying the Virginia General Assembly and Executive Branch offices. Karin brings a unique depth of experience to the Troutman Pepper Strategies team through her service in state government, contract lobbying, and in-house lobbying for a Fortune 58 company. Karin has an array of expertise at the state level in the areas of health care, human services, procurement, and appropriations. She assists clients with understanding and identifying health and human service-related procurement opportunities and understanding the impact of Medicaid program changes.
Prior to joining Troutman Pepper Strategies, Karin worked as the Virginia lead for Humana Corporate Affairs, providing support for the company’s contract with the state as a Medicaid-Medicare Plan for the Commonwealth Coordinated Care program in addition to legislative monitoring and lobbying. She also served as Deputy Secretary for Children’s Health and Education under Governor McDonnell advising both Secretary of Health and Human Resources Bill Hazel and Secretary of Education Laura Fornash. Karin also worked as a contract lobbyist for several firms, including owning her own, before joining the McDonnell Administration.
Karin was appointed by Governor Terry McAuliffe and re-appointed by Governor Ralph Northam as a member of the Board of Trustees of the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth. She has served on numerous boards and commissions and is regularly invited to serve as a resource on legislative and executive workgroups. Karin’s experience in state government and as a contract lobbyist for a variety of health care, insurance, and human services clients provides her with a unique ability to guide clients through the legislative, budgetary, and business development process.
Professional and Community Involvement
• Chair, Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth Board of Trustees
• Board member, Lake Patrick Henry Neighborhood Association
• Board member, Benedictine Schools of Richmond Advancement Committee
• Children’s Cabinet School Based Health Center Task Force
• Workgroup member, Family First Prevention Services Act Three Branch Model
• Former board member, CHIP of Virginia
• Former board member, Virginia Home for Boys and Girls
• Former board member ex-officio, Virginia Early Childhood Foundation
• Former regional president, Richmond William and Mary Tribe Club
Rankings and Recognition
• Special Recognition for Years of Service as Lobbyist, VA Chapter of the American Academy of Pediatrics
• Special Recognition for Years of Service as Lobbyist, VA and NCA Chapters of the March of Dimes
• Religious Liberty Award, Old Dominion Association of Church Schools
• Public Affairs Advocate, Humana
• Deputy Secretary for Children’s Health and Education, Office of Governor Robert F. McDonnell
• CEO, Addison Elwood Consulting
• Vice President, Advantus Strategies, LLC
• College of William & Mary, B.A., 1999