Karin Addison has 19 years experience lobbying the Virginia General Assembly and Executive Branch offices. Karin brings a unique depth of experience to the Troutman Pepper Strategies team through her service in state government, contract lobbying, and in-house lobbying for a Fortune 58 company. Karin has an array of expertise at the state level in the areas of healthcare, human services, procurement, and appropriations. She currently assists clients with understanding and identifying health and human service related procurement opportunities and understanding the impact of Medicaid program changes.
Prior to joining Troutman Pepper Strategies, Karin worked as the Virginia lead for Humana Corporate Affairs, providing support for the company’s contract with the state as a Medicaid-Medicare Plan for the Commonwealth Coordinated Care program in addition to legislative monitoring and lobbying. She also served as Deputy Secretary for Children’s Health and Education under Governor McDonnell advising both Secretary of Health and Human Resources Bill Hazel and Secretary of Education Laura Fornash. Karin also worked as a contract lobbyist for several firms, including owning her own lobbying firm, before joining the McDonnell Administration.
Karin’s experience in state government and as a contract lobbyist for a variety of healthcare and education clients provides her with a unique ability to guide clients through the legislative, budgetary, and business development process.
Professional and Community Involvement
• Appointed by Virginia Governors McAuliffe and Northam to serve on the Virginia Foundation for Healthy Youth
• Appointed by the Virginia Senate Committee on Rules to the Cannabis Public Health Advisory Council
• Public Affairs Advocate, Humana
• Deputy Secretary for Children’s Health and Education, Office of Governor Robert F. McDonnell
• CEO, Addison Elwood Consulting
• Vice President, Advantus Strategies, LLC
• College of William & Mary, B.A., 1999